Home
Virtual Image Printer DriverMiraplacid Publisher converts documents to images
Virtual Text Printer DriverMiraplacid Text Driver extracts text from documents
Miraplacid Data ViewerMiraplacid Data Viewer - access to internal structure of a binary file
Miraplacid Text ViewerMiraplacid Text Viewer - access to internal structure of a text file
Common:   Login | Rules of forum | Register
Management:  New topic | Close topic | Move topic | Delete topic

Miraplacid Forum >> Printer Drivers >> Problem installing Laserjet 4LModerator:Cerberus

Author Topic:  Problem installing Laserjet 4L
maloca

posted 2003-06-11 10:54:59 Reply -Delete

Hi there!

I have got a HP Laserjet 4L printer. I bought the printer in used state.

Pressing the button, it prints a test page: everything OK!
When I tried to install it in my machine (under Windows XP) it isn't recognized. I installed the printer using the drivers that came with Windows distribution, and the ones from HP. None of them worked because when I try to print something it returns the same error it would return if no printer were connected.

I've talked to a few people and they told me that the printer probably had a serious hardware problem: regarding the parallel port.

Please give some suggestions. Thanks for your time.

mpcat

posted 2003-06-11 10:55:38 Reply -Delete

You're not alone with problems with old printers and XP. You could try downloading the Win 2000 driver and give it a try.

Worris

posted 2003-06-11 10:57:43 Reply -Delete

Hi maloca,

a defective parallel port COULD possibly be your problem.
A bad cable also.
Try to connect the printer to a different computer with Win9x, Win NT or 2000.
If that doesn´t work, try another ( tested ) parallel cable.
So you can narrow down the possibilities to "n -2".

Let us know....

Worris

maloca

posted 2003-06-11 10:59:07 Reply -Delete

Hi there! I've tried with several drivers for different operating systems (Win2000, Win98, WinXP, Win3.11) on different machines. The cable works with other printers.
It all ends to one possibility: a deffective parallel port, just like Volker Horns said.
I understand a bit of electronics: can anyone explain to me what do I have to do?
Thanks a lot!

hockley

Email
posted 2004-11-29 21:07:33 Reply -Delete

I had a similar problem with my HP LJ 4L after upgrading to XP. Turns out the problem was corrected by changing the BIOS setting for the parrell port on my Dell. The setting was ECP. The problem with the printer was corrected by changing the value to EPP.

Your message:
Name, password:
Go to category:  

Technical Support

Copyright © Miraplacid, 2003 - 2024